Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pakistan's Short Test, A Tale of Two Akmals and the Yoghurt of Rebellion

Congratulations Pakistan!  My favourite team totally blew those New Zealand fish right out of the water yesterday!  With my lovely lads' fabulous bowling and batting (that's YOU, Abdur Rehman), those kiwis didn't stand a chance.  And I'm getting grumpy with the people who say that New Zealand lost because New Zealand played poorly.  Phooey on youey!  Pakistan won because Pakistan played superbly and would have beaten any other team in the world because my lovely lads are the best team of all time.  OF ALL TIME!!!

So due to their insanely good playing, Pakistan wiped out the NZ batting line-up in less than one session and the match only lasted three days! Absolute insanity!  Pandemonium!  Crazy!!!

I want to give a shout out to all the Pakistan players today.  What teamwork, you all deserved to be Man of the Match and I'm thrilled to bits for you!  Most of all, however, I owe Adnan Akmal an apology.  So for the first part of my story of Two Akmals, I'll say this:  Sorry Adnan.  It was mean to say you were a mediocre player before and I take it back!  You've really shown you're a good test match player and we're all looking forward to seeing you play for years to come.  Great catches, great batting and great team spirit!  From now on, you'll be referred to as Triple A:  Awesome Adnan Akmal.  Good on ya!

For the second part of my story, it looks like Kamran Akmal will be on the World Cup squad.  He's been cleared by the ICC and the PCB for the WC.  Good on him I guess.  His recent performances on the squad have been less than spectacular, but here's hoping he finds his form and smashes away all the opposition.  Let's go Akmal brothers!

And finally, as I said yesterday, I'm tired of high prices and giving all my money to the man.  Rebel, why don't you, just a little bit and join me in some rebellious yoghurt-making.  That'll show those corporate bigwigs!  Who needs your mass-produced stuff when I can make my own at home? Join my rebellion and let's make some yoghurt!

The Yoghurt of Rebellion
Ingredients
1 litre full fat milk (you can use skim if you like)
Do not use milk from a tetrabrik; it will not turn into yoghurt due to the ultrapasteurization process
2 tablespoons yoghurt (to use as a starter)

1.  Line a bowl with the starter yoghurt and set aside to come to room temperature.
2.  Bring milk to a boil, turn off the heat and let it cool.
3.  When the milk is cool, put it in the fridge.
4.  Skim off the layer of cream which will have formed on top of the milk.  Do not discard this; this cream is delicious and is fabulous in its own right.
5.  Lightly warm the skimmed milk, but don't boil it.
6.  Pour the milk into the lined bowl; the warmed milk will make the bacterial culture of the room-temperature grow and change the milk into yoghurt over time.
7.  Cover the bowl, and set it aside for 4 or 6 hours.  Do not move the bowl!
8.  Check after 4 or 6 hours to see if the yoghurt has set.  Once set, put the yoghurt away in the fridge to stop the bacterial growth.

So according to my brother-in-law, who's an excellent cook and makes yoghurt quite often, you should use an earthenware pot for best results.  Also, after the yoghurt has set, he recommends that you remove the watery liquid (the whey) and that will thicken up the yoghurt.

Now it's time for me to continue with my day.  Pakistan, congrats, you deserved that victory for all your hard work!  Akmals, make me happy by continuing to play well and constantly improving.  And to all of you kitchen culinary artists, have a happy rebellion!  Break free from the chains of high prices!

Happy Cricket, Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, and no abuse. We're all here for a good time, not a bad time!